Friday, May 18, 2012

I DID IT!!!

If you would have asked me back in January "Wanna run a 5k with us?" my response would have been " You're joking right..." Mid January my husband and I joined Lifetime fitness. We both just wanted to lose a few pounds and have a more active lifestyle. I went to the gym for the first time nervous and overwhelmed. There is so much going on there. Row after Row of machines, weights, classes both group and private, boot camps....and more. I had no idea where to begin. I hate the scale (they are evil little machines) so I gave myself a fitness goal. I told myself I was going to run a 5k! My neighbor gave me a work out plan called the Couch potato to 5k runner. It seemed easy enough. Three workouts a week and it told me exactly what I need to do, and I liked that. I had a reason to go to the gym everyday. Jump ahead to April 29th. Its the day of the race(we ran the Celebrating differences 5k in Oswego, benefiting children with disabilities)...and I was worried. I had not been able to get to the whole 3 miles yet. Would I be able to do this? I really wanted to run the WHOLE thing...no walking. My running partners were the best! My neighbors Julie S(on the left) and Julie G(on the right) were my encouragement! They kept me going. Around mile 2 I wanted to stop so bad. My knees were feeling it and so were my hips. But they didn't let me. It was hard... not going to lie. I am not a runner and I know this, but I was not going to let this race beat me, I was going to beat it. And 35 min 24 seconds later I crossed the finish line RUNNING! I ran the whole thing. And it felt great. All my hard work paid off. The icing on my cake was after my race I got on the scale. I felt better about my appearance. I stopped drinking all soda in January, and I didn't feel or look bloated anymore. But I knew that I had built muscle up in my legs so I didn't expect the scale to reflect much. It was not a lot....maybe 7lbs, but I feel good about it all. Now I go to the gym 6 days a week. I take a Pilates class, and a spin class and I am hoping to try Zumba too. Joining the gym was one of the best decisions that we have ever made. I will be running more 5k's. BUT...they will be for charity. Seeing as I don't necessarily find running to be fun, I do find that I enjoy running for a cause. I think that my next race will be the Zoo Run Run help at Brookfield zoo on 9/23/12. All money will go to conservation efforts. Enjoy your day, and thanks for stopping by!

No comments: